Slutsk (in chronicles Sluchesk) was first mentioned in 1116 in Nestor's Chronicle ("Povest vremennyh let") as one of the towns of Turov Principality. In 1160 Slutsk became a center of Slutsk Principality. In 1320—1330 Slutsk belonged to Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Slutsk is situated in central Belarus, 105 km south from Minsk. The population is about 65 thousand. In 1441 Magdeburg rights were granted to Slutsk. In XV century an iconography school developed in Slutsk, the town was famous for its jewelers and bone carvers. From 1569 to XVII century Slutsk and Slutsk Principality were a part of Kingdom of Poland. In 1624 one of the oldest Belarusian schools — Slutsk Gymnasium — was opened. In early XVII century professional theater, fantoccini theater, shadow theater, ballet school and public theater "Batleyka" were acting at Prince Radzivill's court. Slutsk was famous for its silk sashes manufacture (1736—1844). In 1719 Sutsk Principality was eliminated; Slutsk became a chief town of a uyezd (district) of Minsk province in Russian Empire.
In November 1917 the town fell under Soviet rule. In 1941—1944 Slutsk was occupied by Nazi. In 1944 Slutsk became a part of Bobruysk province, in 1954 — passed to Minsk province. Nowadays Slutsk is a large industrial city.
There is a number of architectural sights in Slutsk: religious school (1767), Mikhailovskaya Church (the 2nd half of XVIII century), the house of the Nobility's Council (XVIII century), male gymnasium (1852), post station (XIX century). Brick-made Semyonovskaya Church (late XIX — early XX century) in the village of Borok and Jesuit Church (1649) in the village of Zamostye have survived.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]